Saturday, September 22, 2018

Festival of thrift



Today I had an amazing opportunity to work at the festival of thrift fashion show from the charity            Oxfam.
When we first got told about this opportunity we got given this sheet of paper on the left explaining the general theme of the fashion show. When we read into this the idea of using old tires and metal etc came to mind.we looked into 70;s fashion more and had the idea to use 70's punk fashion as our idea and makeup theme to match with the clothes. I researched into the '70s and the punk style that was around at that time. I drew out an initial design for this using our inspiration and ideas of the era. We then got in partners and practiced our designs on the face. I used greasepaints to create this piece. The group then had a discussion about what we may use and not use about certain pieces of peoples work. our teacher then demonstrated the ideas with makeup and we all came up with a group final design. I then made a face chart to use to compare to other MUAs to makeup sure we all had everything the same so the makeup would all match. On the night I cleaned all my brushes ready for the next day and packed my makeup in advance to make sure I didn't forget anything.
22/09/18- Festival of thrift 

The next day when got the venue which was held in Kirkleatham hall. I got all my makeup out and organized ready to use. I put my face chart in front of me so I could see what I was aiming for so it would match with the other MUAs. As the models started coming in I made sure I cleaned my hands to apply makeup and that the area was prepared and safe for them to arrive. when they come in I sat them on the chair in front of me and tried to make them feel calm and at ease as being in a fashion show might stress them out. I explained to them the makeup we were going to do today by showing them my face chart. While doing the makeup some more MUAs needed to learn how to apply the makeup so the asked to watch me apply it. I talked them through what I was going today making sure what I said wouldn't offend the model by my corrections.
Surprisingly, the next thing that happened was a shock to me! I was asked to step in the show as a model. I quickly applied my makeup and hair like all the other models using the face charts and the MUAs help to make sure it looks correct. I had to model a fashion students horse jockey piece that was stunning. I feel like although this is not makeup related it is still helpful to help out with anything you are needed or asked to on a set or production environment as I feel it shows you are willing to go the extra length! 
Overall, I really enjoyed my experience at the Festival of Thrift as I had never had the chance to work in a fashion makeup environment and I feel it will give me a lot more experienced. It made me realize I enjoy it more than I thought and I would love to experiment with this type of work more and see where it leads me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment