Tuesday, September 18, 2018

1970s Punk fashion

1970s punk research 
The original punk generation of the late 1970s are now well into their 50s. The punk revolt that erupted in 76 and 77, and chemical-green mohicans, diseased-looking cobalt blue lipstick, vicious ink-black cat eyes and death-like white skin all come to mind. Some punks, like Jordan - the model and actress, born Pamela Rooke, was noted for her work with designer Vivienne Westwood - actually looked very feline and feminine with their cat-eye make-up and saturnine dark lips. For these women, it would seem that the objective was to reject a commercial and received vision of feminine beauty, rather than to stop being a woman. In particular, the political and economic liberty of women advanced greatly during the decade, with women’s liberation groups and feminists worldwide demanding changes for women at work, in the home and all aspects of life.
Inequality in the workplace was rife, where women were paid less than their male equivalent and often had to endure harassment. It wasn’t easy for women to work in the trade jobs (e.g. electrician, plumber, carpenter), and very few did during this time, especially women of colour.
Women’s liberation and feminism was growing in power, and had an impact on advertising and the cosmetics industry. There were lots of makeup choices. Revlon, Max Factor, Yardley, Coty, Helena Rubinstein, Elizabeth Arden, Maybelline, Bourjois – all the familiar names were main players in the cosmetics market, though success varied from country to country. "I was definitely rejecting feminine beauty ideals. I hated the passivity of the status quo female look,"  said Countess Pasha du Valentine who was a young want to be singer in th 70s.

Lipstick (most likely red or black) was often applied as if on a roller coaster, creating a ‘smack in the mouth’ look. The other popular look was to have pointed edges on the upper lip.
Blusher (when used) looked like it was applied with a paint roller, leaving a bold stripe along the cheek bones. No blending, no soft edges and no apology. Other shapes were created with blusher, like a triangle from the temples down to the cheeks. Blusher wasn’t used to add a defined beauty to the cheeks.
Foundation was used to create a pale base.
Eyes were done with an exaggerated cat-eye shape or heavy flicks. Or the whole upper eye area was filled in with dark, bold colours and squared-off edges. Lines were also drawn out from the eyes and brows, creating geometric shapes.
Some punk makeup may have looked as if it was done in a hurry, but it was applied deliberately and with care – and took as long as it needed for the look to be achieved.
Face and body piercings were in, and didn’t just involve regular jewellery – safety pins and razor blades were worn in piercings as much as in clothing. Chains would be draped  from ear piercings to noses or lips.
Tattooing also went against socially acceptable conventions, and designs featured punk iconography like skulls, the grim reaper and ghoulish caricatures.

Moodboard



Makeup plan

  1. Firstly I will clean the skin to make the makeup sit better on the skin. I will also set out my reference photos and my designs.
  2. Next, I will apply foundation on the full face using a fresh clean sponge.
  3. Then I will apply powder all over the face.
  4. Then I will contour the face using a Tilt contour palette.
  5. Next, I will use black eyeshadow and blend it out on the lids. Then I will create a winged eyeliner and blend it in with the eyeshadow.
  6. Then I will add mascara.
  7. I will then add the black and red detailing using black eyeliner and red face paint. Remember to add one black eyebrow.
  8. Lastly, I will use black eyeliner on the lips. I will tie the hair up in a high ponytail to finish the look.

Review
Over all I really like this piece of experimentation work as I think it suits the style very well. I used the reference images very well and crated a piece that in my opinion would of it really well with the brief. However, as this was a group activity, we all took inspiration from everyone's and mine was sadly not chosen. But none of the less I love the contrast in colours in my piece and I think it perfectly shows the 1970s punks fashion. I love the one eyebrow that is paint and
I think it draws the eyes to that area of the face.

The pops of red are something I took a twist on the time period as I felt it fit with the brief well. These geometric patterns really makes the work stand out. If I ever did this piece again I could maybe add some of that colour onto the eye lids as I think they could of been more exciting.





Makeup plan

  1. First off I will cover the face in foundation.
  2. Then I will set the face with powder.
  3. Next, I will add black to the eyelids and blend it outwards and towards the eyebrow.
  4. I will then fill the eyebrows in with the black eyeshadow.
  5. I will then use pink and purple eyeshadows and blend them in with the black and around the face to create a contour effect on the forehead and checks.
  6. Then, add mascara.
  7. Lastly, I will add a coral lip to the finished look.
  8. For the hai,r I will back comb it and have it messy around the face.

Review
As this was the chosen makeup look from the class to use on the fashion show I had never done this makeup before. This was the first time I had to work straight off a face chart to make them all look he same. However, I think I did well with this to say I had never done it before. I love the technique of using the large, bold eye shadow from the eyes to blend it around the face to create face contour and blush. I think this was very smart of the person who designed it. I want love to try this technique  on another make up as it is beautiful. I applied the foundation to the face fist using a clean, new sponge. I then used a lighter concealer under the eyes and on any imperfections. I then set the face using powder and a sponge and powder brush.
I then applied the eye shadow applying the black first then blended the pink in with the black and around the face to create contour. I filled in the eyebrows with the same black eye shadow and made sure to join the eye shadow to the eyes like the design entailed. Lastly I added a Corel tones lipstick to the lips with a lip brush. I then back combed the hair a little bit to give it some volume and make it look messy and in the fashion of a 70s punk a 'whatever' look.



No comments:

Post a Comment