Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Atonement 


img_3987

11/09/18 - Atonement
Atonement re-make

Today we worked on a re-enactment of the beach scene in Atonement to celebrate it being 10 years since the original film was made on Redcar beach.
Last night I was so excited to do this today as it was a good chance to gain experience from working on a film set. I cleaned all my brushes and made sure i had everything i would be needing or may need the next day. I did this to make sure i was  I watched the original film to make sure I understood what type of look I was aiming for.
This morning
img_39701we all went to Redcar to a building called Tuned in with our kits at the ready and excited to go. We all got given around 5-6 people each to do their makeups for set and around 1 hour to complete them all. 
img_3979
I used 3rd degree to create some small cuts and grazes on the face. I then added powder to set them and then progressed to paint them with alcohol paints and fake blood. I tried not to use a bright fresh blood as when watching the original film you could tell the men had been on the beach for a while therefore the blood on their faces will of gone crusty and dry. I then used dirt powder to dirty the face down to make it look like they had been on the beach for a while.

Once finishing the makeup for the cast we then all made our way down to the set. all the makeup artists were wearing there black clothes and makeup artist t-shirts. I feel like this made us look very professional as the cast and crew all knew why we were there and what we were doing. Once on the set we were looking out for any of the cast that looked like they needed touch ups done.


img_39832
(This is the actor i did the quick touch ups on)


I then spotted a member of the cast that didn't have any makeup on. I thought it looked very strange everyone but him having makeup done but not him. I think this must of happened because of the cast had never been extra in a film before therefore I fee like they didn't know they were require to have makeup done. I quickly ran over and did his makeup by adding some blood and dirt to his face, hands and head. We added a bandage on his head that the actor had on his hand because of the lack of time we had, I thought it would be a fast way to make him look injured. Especially because the actor was bald it was very important to make sure the makeup did not just stop above his forehead, but to make sure it continued all over the head. I made sure this happened as if a audience member could pick it out from the film, it may get rid of the authentic atmosphere from the film.

Then, the director asked if any of the makeup artists would like to be in the film as a extra. I immediately put my hand up as it was such a good opportunity to be a part of. we then got given a horse head mask and hold still and then pretend to get shot. I found this full experience so fun and exciting as I didn't expect to be doing any of this today. I just thought I would be doing makeup and touch ups.

img_3988img_39952
Overall, I found this full experience so exciting and fun and it has made me feel more professional as a makeup artist as it has gave me more experience working on a film set and working with supporting actors and actresses.  I am very proud of how this makeup turned out and how the over all aesthetic of the film was achieved by some small cuts and wounds here and there. It has made me realise that I would love to do something like this in the future and i may experiment with this further. I am very happy we got given this opportunity to do this and i feel it will be a great success.

“But what really happened? The answer is simple: the lovers survive and flourish.” 

― Ian McEwan, Atonement

img_3985

No comments:

Post a Comment